1887 - 1981
Jules Rene Hervé began his formal art studies in an evening school in Langres, France. Hervé was trained at the Ecole nationale supérieure d’arts decoratifs of Paris, and studied with Fernand Cormon and Jules Adler.
As early as 1910, his work was shown in Paris Salons where his paintings were described as “jewels” of French scenery.
The French Government awarded him a travelling scholarship in 1924 and in 1925 he won a Gold Medal. He also won a golden medal at the International Paris Exhibition in 1937. Between 1911-1943 he taught other artists and he also won the Belle Table Prize and the Leguay Prize.
His work has been purchased by the most of the leading museums in France and although he represented the purest tradition of French art and paints with great impressionism, he was completely unaffected by the current fashion of art. He has always sought to master the technical secrets of art and painted with a marvellous harmony of colour and light.
Elected Vice President of the Salon des Artistes Francais and a member of The Jury of the Society of French Artists.
His work is held in the following permanent collections:
Chicago Art Institute,
Musée d’art et d’histoire de Langres,
Musée du Petit Palais in Paris, Casablanca Morocco,
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Tourcoing,
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Saint-Étienne,
Musée des Beaux-arts d’Annecy
Dahesh Museum – New York City.