1842 - 1910
Hippolyte-Camille Delpy studied under Daubigny and exhibited at the Exposition Universelle of 1900 in Paris. He first exhibited at the Salon of 1869 where he submitted one of his snow scenes such as can also be found among the work of Pissarro and Monet around this time. During the 1870s he frequently worked in Ville d’Avray, favoured by Corot, and in Auvers where Daubigny often worked. Delpy admired Daubigny’s work and he shared this passion with Pissarro and Cézanne with whom he became friends. Delpy’s work was favourably received by the Salon critics in 1874 and 1875, and in 1876 the artist organised a public auction of his own work at the Hôtel Drouot, the Paris auctionhouse, where he sold all 45 paintings. Following the sale, Delpy and his family moved to Fontainebleau. In 1881 Delpy received a commendation at the Salon followed by a bronze medal in 1884, a commendation at the Exposition Universelle in 1889 and a silver medal in 1900. He became a member of the Société des Artistes Français in 1886. The prominent Galerie Georges Petit, a specialist in contemporary French art, began selling Delpy’s work. In 1908 Delpy showed work at the Grafton Galleries in London. Delpy has been criticised for continuing to work in the style of his master, Daubigny, rather than developing his own approach. He is nevertheless an interesting artist who has his place among the landscape artists of the late 19th century. He mainly painted the same subjects as Daubigny.
Museum and Gallery Holdings
Béziers: The Grand Rue in the Village of Auvers
Chambéry (MBA): Landscape; Farmyard
Louviers: Fontainebleau Forest