1929 - present
André Brasilier was the son of the painter Jacques Brasilier. After studying in Saumur and St-Germain-en-Laye, he joined Brianchon’s studio in 1949 at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He was awarded the Prix Florence-Blumenthal in 1952 and the Grand Prix de Rome in 1953. He lived at the Villa de’ Medicis from 1954 to 1957. He also received the Prix Charles-Morellet at the Salon de la Jeune Peinture in 1961 and the Prix de Villeneuve-sur-Lot in 1962.
Brasilier’s paintings are populated by beautiful, elegant women, respectable nudes and high-class gentlemen and are set in pleasant Val-de-Loire backgrounds, resplendent with landscapes and charming towns. Revealing the distant inspiration of Gauguin and the well-assimilated influence of certain other artists, Brasilier depicts a peaceful, comfortable world, free from care, in a very simple, stylish manner, with delicate harmonies bathed in accommodating sunlight.
Brasilier took part in group exhibitions from 1956, including many in Paris: at the Salon de la Jeune Peinture; regularly at the Salon d’Automne; at the École de Paris exhibition at the Galerie Charpentier (1954-1957); at the Paris Biennale (1961 and 1963); and at the Salon Comparaisons (1961-1964). Mainly, however, he showed his work in solo exhibitions, including: at the Galerie Drouet in Paris (1959); at the Galerie Weil in Paris (1960 and 1964); at the David B. Finlay Gallery in New York (1962, 1971 and 1974); at the Atelier Mourlot in Paris (1964); at the Galerie Guiot in Paris (1967); at the Galerie de Paris (1969, 1972 and 1976); at the Yoshii Gallery in Tokyo (1969, 1974 and 1977); at the Galerie Matignon in Paris (1979); a first retrospective at the Château de Chenonceau in Paris (1980); at the Nichido Gallery in Tokyo (1983); a retrospective at the Musée Picasso in Antibes (1988); at the Galerie Hopkins-Thomas and the Galerie Étienne Sassi in Paris (1988); at the Hammer Gallery in New York (1989); André Brasilier à Bagatelle at the Hôtel de Ville in Paris (1992); at the Galerie Élysée-Matignon in Paris (1993); and at the Galerie Bac St-Germain in Paris (2002).